Skip to main content

Need To Return Back To Normal



Even if many of us lacked far behind our notions of an ideal life, at least we had our sense of normalcy. While "TheNewNormal" hashtags long made their way to social media, lack of normalcy is already taking a silent toll behind the strong front we are trying to put up. 

There is no denying the Covid threats, but it is also high time that we allow people to resume back to their routines with vaccination drives and stringent Covid protocols in place. Many of us have taken our own routes to deal with the pandemic effects, trying to hold our forts as strongly as we can. 

But, it would be extremely naive to believe that the impact of pandemic is limited to our heightened procrastination levels and the current solace would not have isolation effects on our mental health. From lay-offs and financial stress to questionable corona degrees and no school for a year; everyone seems to be stuck with their own set of pandemic challenges without the usual support of friends and colleagues (at least not in ways of the offline lifestyle). 

I remember watching this post on the "WhatsApp status of an old teacher and reposting the same as it seemed to fit my situation so well. I had completely intended it on a lighter note about how we can't control it all but accepting the fact is the easiest way to avoid the mental low. Naturally, I had a few friends trying to explain how we should avoid using the word "depression" so lightly. But, since I was in no moods for lectures and had just meant the post on a much lighter note as it completely fitted to my situation, briefly explained and deleted the post and forgot. However, watching the TEDx Talk by Sarah Liberti reminded me of the day and made me realise, how they indeed had a point that day."

It goes on to show that despite massive social media campaigns, there are still a vast majority of us who don't really understand mental health despite our best efforts. But, irrespective of our understanding, all our EQs have been challenged in the past 19 months of COVID-19. 

In the pre-pandemic times, we took solace in home when there was stress at work and distracted our mind with work when tensions ran high back home. While it seemed like a nice vacation for many in the begining, blurring boundaries and diminishing space are becoming frustrating, almost for all.  

Teens and youngsters who could otherwise take on negotiating roles with their parents, make memories with their friends and enjoy some of the most fun times of their lives are losing out on both learning and happiness. 

Everyone seems to be taking refuge in happy emojis online and silently seeping into their problems back home.  As students, it is not just your degree with diminishing returns but the strength of your real friends seem to be diminishing with each passing month as well. 

On one end, four walls of your home seem to be eating up on your soul; on the other it feels scary to imagine if you can even re-adapt to that old life once your institution opens up. In this entire process, our families are becoming the worst sufferers, having to put up with incomprehensible moods and surprising outbursts at the most random occassions. 

The sense of belongingness that all humans tend to look for is going on for a toss with the few glues left, taking the worst brunts. Despite best intentions, it becomes nearly impossible to not misunderstand people in the absence of casual non-verbals and be there for each other when even the simplest of own problems seem too difficult to manage. 

While no one can deny the need to stay safe from virus, it is also high time we allow students especially children to return to schools and make most out of their formative years rather than causing irreparable damage (without anyone's fault) to young leaders of tomorrow. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#Article370

PC - News18 Over the past 16 days I have tried to read and listen to as many opinions as I could. Both in favour and against the scrapping of #Article370 irrespective of my personal belief and views on the matter. Although, honestly I am not sure if I have any. Its two weeks and having heard both sides I am still divided. But what's weird, is there are only 3 men from Kashmir I personally know who I have had discussions in the past. All three of them are moderate in their beliefs and considerate towards other communities as well unlike how many would like them to be portrayed, but today I don't see either of them supporting what's going on. They are the people who have lived in Kashmir and know ground realities better than many of us will ever know. I might not have the knowledge, experience and expertise to speak on such matters but  reading School time textbooks on Politics offlate just made me feel their voices need to be heard. That's the least we could do

Sheetal Di's Birthday

Date - 29/08/2017 Our first morning in Korea began with our friend's birthday. Sheetal is a part of our Student Exchange group from India alongwith Avinash, Anamika and Varsha. We wished her Happy Birthday in the midnight. Since we had nothing else we celebrated her birthday with a little of the snacks like chocolate and namkeen that we had in our room. Sujin took us to a bank, first thing in the morning so that we could exchange our money into Korean currency. Then we went us to a bakery where we bought a cake for Sheetal.  Then after doing our shopping we celebrated her Birthday with Sujin. The cake was delicious and I loved it. It was the tastiest cake I ever had. It was a new thing for Sujin to watch when we put a bit of the cream and cake on Sheetal's face. She was like people in your country don't mind it. There are so many differences in the culture and lifestyle of India and Korea. One thing I really like about people in this country and feel good about is they

A day full of birthdays

Date - 20/09/2017 Today was Deepika Di's, Aizhan Aappa's and Anu Manhotra Ma'am's birthday.  Deepika Di was my senior in Shoolini. She was one of the seniors I have always admired and looked upto. Wishing her a happy birthday was one of the first things I did today. She is intelligent, confident, classy, beautiful, helpful and a sweetheart. I haven't known her for a very long time but it has been a great experience to know her.  I got to know about Aappa's birthday through facebook. I wasn't sure what to do. I was thinking about it all day. I had just planned to gift her a small choco pie which I had but then did not felt like gifting that alone.  I just thought that probably a letter with some birthday wishes would seem nice. I don't have any clues about Kazakh so I took a little help from Google.  I just wrote happy birthday in Kazakh and the entire message was in English. I also wrote Happy birthday in Hindi in the end. She was very happy and delight