Skip to main content

Orientation Day (reposted)

Date - 31st August 2017

Today we had the Orientation Program for exchange students in Gachon University.

Today we also met Prof. Joo. He is the manager of International Affairs, Gachon University.

We were told about the necessary things to be done and the do's and dont's for our stay here. We also have to register for our regular courses within a week.

Apart from my regular courses, I will also be opting for the Korean language. We had to take the Korean level test in the evening to take the Korean language so that they can evaluate our level and assign Korean class likewise. Not to our surprise, we were assigned level 1. We were among the students who didn't know Korean at all.

But heir system of Education in the college is very different from that of ours in India. But I like the concept that in your college apart from your major you can choose any course of your interest from any of the departments here.

I haven't decided what are the courses I will take but I will decide that by tomorrow so that I can Audit them next week before the course registrations.

Another thing that is different about South Korea is the no. of cards they use. It seems like they have a seperate card for every thing they use.

On the very first day, we got a dormitory card for entering and exiting the dormitory and our rooms. We made a Bus card to use public transport. We have another card to use laundry. We will also be having a student Id card to avail facilities like labs.

But most importantly we need to get our Alien Cards soon. It works as a substitute for passport and is compulsory for all the foreigners in South Korea.

We also met Professor Anshul today. He used to teach in Shoolini University, our Indian University before he joined Gachon University. He was telling us more about South Korea and guided us about few of the things. It felt great to meet an Indian from our own University.

As Professor Joo said in the end of the Orientation "Vacations are over". Finally we will be beginning with our classes soon. With 30 credits I plan to work hard for the five days and simply relax and have fun in the weekends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ramblings Of A Mad Woman

If you find yourself on this page by any chance, please bear with me for today. Though as I search the meaning of "ramblings" just to be sure, I realised, its exactly what this post is most likely to be. "L engthy, confused and inconsequential." I guess sometimes you just want to be heard but don't know how to really reach out. You want to have a conversation but don't know how to ask for it. At times, you even try and reach out, you often end up feeling a little letdown. (Even though you also know that the other person is hardly at fault) Especially, amidst the Covid-19 lockdowns, no matter how much you try to stay sane, there are days you still lose your shit. It is easier to post, "It's ok not to be ok" but when your own 'not so ok' days arrive, you still feel the same which is ok too.  While blogs can often feel like a lot of work, I often take to my usually private WhatsApp Statuses to express how I feel. It's off-course easier...

Inside Gachon University Festival: My Experience as an Exchange Student in South Korea

Gachon University Festival in South Korea is a popular campus event featuring K-pop performances, student activities, and cultural celebrations. Originally experienced in September 2017, Gachon Festival was one of my most memorable experiences during my student exchange programme in South Korea. When people think of South Korea, they often imagine K-pop, K-dramas, street food and bustling cities. I too got a glimpse of that culture and celebration at the Gachon University Festival. It wasn't just about music and performances; it was about seeing thousands of students come together to celebrate, make memories and enjoy a brief break from their demanding academic schedules. I had attended college festivals back home in India, yet I was curious to see how a Korean university festival would compare. What Is the Gachon University Festival? Like many universities in South Korea, Gachon University organises an annual festival where students showcase their talents through music, dance, per...

Impressed with their Hindi

Today in the morning we met Sunaina and Priya. Sunaina and Priya are two of our Korean friends who can speak Hindi. I had heard a lot about Sunaina from Sheetal Di so I was excited to meet her. But when we actually met her, I was really impressed. All of us were like they look so cute when they speak Hindi. They actually were speaking pure Hindi and try not to mix even a single word of English when they speak Hindi. We were very glad to meet them and we promised to meet them again atleast before leaving.